Thursday, July 23, 2009

DPS in group: take that DK!

I really should start writing these at my home computer, and start using fraps again...
Yesterday I had a great Mana tombs run. (as a DPS) in which i blasted everyone away... litteraly (Thunderstorm for the win, right?)

Recount DPS - overall:
1 Ariäni lvl66 (me) 950ish(!!!!!) Half blues and greens
2 DK DPS lvl67 (dinged 68 half way) 720ish Half blues and greens, great player
3 Pala DPS lvl64 650ish Mostly greens, some blues, average M&S
4 DK tank lvl66 625ish Mostly greens, +/- tanking "skills"

On some fights i hit the 1K and went over it (1070ish). Now I looked at everyones gear, and the DK DPS was actually pretty good geared, good rotation, frankly did everything okaj.

Now How come I do 230 DPS more then the rest?
-CL + Glyph of CL + Talent Lightning Overload
Brakedown: Drop totem of wrath then CL which hits for: 1.2K, 800, 600ish, 400ish then it has the ability to do half damage again: 600, 400, 300,200. (33% chance) and I have 17% chance to crit (with the totem up) Which means in the time (1.5sec) that the DK can club one guy I hit for about: 3.5K (with no crits and including a 33% chance on lightning overload) Now if you know that 17% chance of a crit that means I crit on one of the jumps... which increases the damage too.
by how much, I'm not going to calculate right now but lets say its about 500~ extra damage overall.

Downside of this all?
- Very mana consuming
-Only drop 1 totem (don't have the time to drop them all 4 or my dps would drop)
-Selfish, since i don't drop strength of the earth or windfury, I'm being selfish by only upping my DPS (Totem of wrath: 120SP)

Personal downside
Aggro Monkey: My rotation is quite simple in a Dungeon: CL, FrS, LB, CL , rinse and repeat , I also always target the one not being attacked by someone else (they die slower so less need to switch targets, means .3 secs more time to dps)
This means that if I get "lucky" the CL will crit on the first guy (2.4K burst anyone?) which gets my crit train rolling, which usually means that my FrS or CL also Crits... can you see it comming?
I may be able to blast everyone away but I need to watch out, If I get my crit train rolling I'm the red flag for the Bull.

So some Tips while lvling:

What do you need to do when you have aggro?
You have 2 choices before lvl80
1- Thunderstorm.. Yes It gives you even more aggro... But if you aren't glyphed for it it knockbacks everyone 20yards (in a 10y range around you, untalented) which gives the tank time to taunt the target(s) attacking you.
2- Windshock - reduces effective aggro, but this blows your 4sec CD (well for me its 4sec) and lowers your damage by about 1000 that fight (so on a 1min fight thats about 24dps)
What to choose is up to you.


Well This post has come out a lot more detailed and Theorycrafted then it was supposed too...
So I'll call it a day for now.

Grtz
Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment